The first stage
The second stage
The third stage
The fourth stage
The fifth stage
Marqués of Sargadelos
Steel Complex Ruins
SARGADELOS ceramics came about as a result of the enlightened initiative of Antonio Raimundo Ibáñez in the early years of the nineteenth century, with the inauguration of a chinaware factory in the parish of the same name in the local council of Cervo (Lugo) in 1806.
Born in the Asturian district of Los Oscos on 17 October 1749, Antonio Raimundo Ibáñez was a relevant figure in the early industrialisation of Galicia. From an early age his entrepreneurial spirit led him to become involved in groundbreaking activities, such as the exploitation of trade routes between Ribadeo and Cádiz or the Baltic Sea, leading to him create the "Royal Maritime Company" in 1788.
Investing his profits, and with the protection in Madrid of Godoy, the prime minister of Carlos IV, he was able to build a large ironworks in SARGADELOS, and guarantee its viability thanks to a contract with the government to produce ammunition in 1794. Its kilns also produced many of the pipes, chains, hydraulic wheels, kitchen implements and other tools used in eighteenth-century Spain. They also produced a series of beautiful sculptures, public fountains and decorative balustrades that may still be seen today in some of Galicia’s cities.
A short time afterwards, his business empire would expand with the construction of a chinaware factory, with the first test pieces appearing in 1806. The project allowed Raimundo Ibáñez to further develop his refined taste for the arts, at the same time as taking advantage of a gap in the market resulting from the disappearance of imports of "Bristol" chinaware from England. This initiative was supported by part of the infrastructure from the ironworks, and above all the excellent quality of the kaolin clay deposits found close to SARGADELOS.